Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Creative -- Creation: What Am I Doing?

Well,

I started a project on WEbook last week and asked for members of the community to participate. So far I have two members who contributed to the project. I'm trying to think of ways to get more people to contribute to the project. Right now I'm still trying to think about how I'm going to present this work. It might not be all that exciting for people to just look at my WEbook project. I'm pretty sure, on the other hand, that I cannot just take the writing of others in the project off of WEbook without their permission, which may be hard to get. So transferring the project to a new medium my be difficult.

Someone suggested to me that maybe I could create a project on WEbook that linked similar projects together in some sort of "super story." This idea is very interesting, but I'm not sure how far I'd be able to get with this before this creative project is due. It is something I will look into doing though.

Nonetheless, I'd like to open the doors of WEbook do my fellow MultiMedia classmates. If you would like to participate in my collaborative WEbook project visit the site: Collaborative Writing.

3 comments:

  1. hi! (I am from WEbook!)
    have you posted in the forums? (dont spam, but for sure post about the project)...also check out some other projects and find people who you think would be good contributors based on what they are writing about...ask them to contribute (and always helps to give them feedback on their work).

    did you post to your facebook or twitter accounts?

    let me know if this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice! I have made posts on two different forums, I didn't want to spam people, like you said. I'll start looking around for more WEbookers who may be able to help me out. I enjoy giving feedback to others, so hopefully I can find some writers who wont mind giving me some in return. I did post on my Facebook, but it doesn't seem like my friends are very active writers. Perhaps I will try again.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note: You have my permission to use this in your WeBook project, since I don't have an account.

    I have participated in a wrestling efed where the main concept is role-playing, but the shows are collaboratively put together by people who write matches and people who write segments. I have done both, meaning I have participated in nearly every aspect of an efed.

    At one time I was the main manager who was responsible for making sure people submitted their work and formatted them together to form a show. I took it very seriously in that I wanted everything to look uniform and for the most part sound like one voice. The transitions to matches to segments was often hard because matches are significantly longer than segments, and they're often written in a different tone or style. I felt that if the tone or style wasn't the same at least the transition should be smoothly.

    I don't know about how it's done now as I've not done it for a couple years, but unless you signed up in advance for a listed match for the week, you were often not given credit for your work. Or if the manager asked a person to contribute a segment it was also not credited.

    So these massive works full of matches and segments written by various people would be published under one handle and viewed by all the members of the board. Essentially it was assumed that the manager "did the work" even though in reality they may have only planned the story lines and organized it. It's possible that they may not have written any themselves depending how well they delegate the work.

    Without the collaboration and "teamwork" of writing a show, an efed generally cannot function to the extent we were doing it. It may be able to work on a smaller scale with shorter matches and shorter segments. However, unless the person planning to solely write everything has a lot of time on their hands, it most likely will never happen. Bottom line - collaborative writing is essential for an efed to exist and operate efficiently.

    ReplyDelete